These days it seems like everyone is either stressed out, incredibly anxious or a combination of them both. We live in a society that is increasingly on-the-go and unfortunately, stress is part of most people’s life. We all know that stress is super bad for your health, so how can we reduce stress in a stressed out world? Here are 48 simple ways to reduce stress and anxiety that have definitely worked for me. Everyone is different, so pick a few that suit you and implement them into your daily lifestyle. Good luck!
1. Practice deep breathing. Deep breathing is a great way to lower stress. Physiological changes that happen when you are stressed, such as fast breathing, increased heart rate, and high blood pressure, all decrease as you breathe deeply.
2. Listen to the rain. Sounds of nature have been proven to have relaxing effects on the brain.
3. Stop multitasking. Research has proven that for some people, trying to do more than one thing at once is can be stressful. So try and take things slowly, one step at a time.
4. Visit a museum or an art gallery.
5. Make a list of all the things you are grateful for. People with a greater level of gratitude tend to be happier, sleep better, and enjoy less stress.
6. Learn to say no. Stop taking on more and more jobs and responsibilities.
7. Start a stretching routine. When you are under stress your muscles grow tense and can become sore. Regular stretching can help relieve stress and relax tense muscles.
8. Stay hydrated. Studies have shown that dehydration leads to higher cortisol levels (the stress hormone). By staying hydrated you will be better equipped to deal with stress.
9. Spend a day at the beach.
10. Phone a friend for a chat.
11. Light some aromatherapy candles. Aromatherapy candles contain various essential oils that promote stress relief and when lit, release a satisfying fragrance.
12. Drink less caffeine. Caffeine can raise levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
13. Get some sun.
14. Be alone. Spending 10 minutes alone and help clear your head and lower stress.
15. Get a coloring book and start coloring.
16. Declutter your home. Excessive clutter is often a cause of stress. It can distract you and invite chaos into your life.
17. Do a jigsaw puzzle. Jigsaw puzzles are a great stress reliever. Focusing on one task for a long period of time is in itself meditation. By doing a jigsaw puzzle, you’re getting the same stress benefits as if you meditated.
18. Play games. Whether you prefer board games or video games, it’ll help divert your focus and lower stress.
19. Stop judging other people. A study in Mindfulness Magazine found that people who rated highest on nonjudgmental behavior also had lower levels of depression, anxiety, and stress.
20. Watch something funny. As they say… laughter is the best medicine.
21. Listen to relaxing music. Music can have a profound effect on the body and is very effective in stress management. Gentle, soothing music can quiet your mind and relax your muscles releasing the stress of the day.
22. Manage your time. Accept that you can not do everything and start to prioritize your tasks.
23. Eat dark chocolate. Studies have shown stressed people had lower levels of stress hormones after eating dark chocolate every day for two weeks.
24. Get up earlier and avoid a morning rush.
25. Take a nap. Naps have been proven to reduce stress.
26. Eat a banana. Being stressed can cause your blood pressure to rise. Bananas contain potassium which can help regulate your blood pressure.
27. Kiss somebody! Kissing releases helpful neurohormones that help keep our moods balanced.
28. Make yourself a cup of chamomile tea. Chamomile is one of the most ancient medicinal herbs known to mankind and promotes relaxation and sleep.
29. Read a book. Reading can relax your body by lowering your heart rate and easing the tension in muscles.
30. Dab some lavender essential oil on your clothes. The aroma of lavender has been shown to reduce stress levels.
31. Try to live a simple life.
32. Hug someone. Hugging has been shown to reduce stress.
34. Take a long hot bath. A hot bath can do more than just get you clean. It can help to wash away stress and pain by relaxing tense muscles.
35. Take a long shower.
36. Turn off your phone. Researchers have found an association between rising stress levels and the practice of constantly checking a phone.
37. Play with your pet. Multiple studies have shown that stroking a pet is an effective way to lower stress. It can not only lower blood pressure but also reduce stress hormones like cortisol.
38. Take up yoga. Regular yoga practice can be a great way to stay in shape, reduce stress, and calm the mind.
39. Chew gum. A few minutes of chewing can lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
40. Feed some ducks.
41. Put on your favorite music and dance.
42. Squeeze a stress ball. When squeezed or manipulated by the hand and fingers, a stress ball can ease muscle tension and lower stress.
43. Open the windows and get some fresh air.
44. Take a walk in nature.
45. Take a break from social media.
46. Meditate. Regular meditation can ease anxiety and lower stress.
47. Exercise! Exercising reduces levels of the body’s stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol.
48. Don’t try and write an article on a list of ways to reduce stress!
If you’ve enjoyed this article on ways to reduce stress and anxiety, please share it on Facebook. Thanks for reading!